So you are about to be a dad? Congrats! This is going to be one of the most rewarding moments of your life. I’m a father so you can believe me when I say when you finally see your little baby, your whole world will change. But with that being said, you need to be prepared with the must-have items for delivery day.
Packing List Just for Dad
- Cell phone (time contractions and share the news when baby arrives)
- Cell phone charger
- Camera/ video camera and SD cards
- Toiletries, including toothbrush, toothpaste, and shower gel
- Change of clothes
- Plenty of snacks
- Reading materials
- Cash for vending machines
- List of important phone numbers
Be sure to have everything mom and baby needs, as well. Most likely mom will have everything ready to go, but once her water breaks, you’ll need to make sure you have all of the bags right by the door.
In case you want to be in charge of the items baby will need, here is a list of the top 5 things you have to take with you to the hospital.
Hospital Packing List For Baby
- Properly installed infant car seat: You won’t be able to take baby home without one.
- Newborn diapers: The hospital will most likely give you a few, but being prepared is always best.
- Newborn and size 0- to 3-month clothing, including onesies, pants, sleepers, hats, and mittens: Some babies don’t fit newborn clothing when born.
- Receiving/swaddle blankets.
- Baby socks or booties.
By having these items prepared ahead of time, you will feel at ease on delivery day. Seeing your newborn baby will be like no experience you have ever had, so be sure to take in the moment and capture it because they only stay little for so long.
Dr. Michael Leung is a board-certified Obstetrics and Gynecology specialist. He cares for patients at Kelsey-Seybold’s Pearland Clinic. His clinical interests include minimally invasive surgery and high-risk conditions, including gestational diabetes, hypertensive disorders, and twin pregnancies.